Sunday, March 23, 2008

Patriotism

Since probably about the middle of senior year, my fanaticism for manga/anime petered out significantly. Probably due to the inordinate amount of Baja work I had to contend with. But nevertheless I haven't yet gotten back to full strength. So far am I out of the fold am I that it may be to far gone to recover that former zeal.

In the erstwhile I found a passion for classic American television. Fueled in that final semester by shows like Scrubs (I watched all 5 seasons that were out at the time), and heroes with the staples of mythbusters and family guy, I rekindled a passion for American storytelling that still continues.

I believe it was heroes that marked the transition for me, because I've always felt that the writing for this show takes a lot from anime style storytelling of non linear plots vice the self contained style of classic American shows. And this I think is what makes it both so entertaining and popular. Unfortunately the rabble rousing of an impatient audience combined with the writers strike to ruin season two inexorably.

Currently you will find me watching old seasons of Star Trek: TNG, because I feel its important to immerse yourself in the classics, as well as keeping current with several discovery channel shows. One of which is their new venture, smash lab. While "entertaining" this show legitimately makes me angry. As an educated engineer, the concepts and theories presented in this show are abhoring as I think all people of my ilk should be. Lets use an example: "Hey guys, I found this great insulating material...lets come up with a wacky illconcieved concept to shield a house from the firestorm of a forest fire that wont work but talk about it like were awesome and made the first step to save homes." and scene...I rest my case, this show won't last beyond what they've already filmed.

I was ultimately inspired to post today because I just finished watching the first season of Battlestar Galactica. It is rare if ever that I am litteraly shocked by plot twists...this show brings them to me in spades. I thoroughly enjoyed it, despite being a few years behind the curve. If you haven't yet, I suggest it heartily.

Signing off

2 comments:

Ms. Snizz said...

So this is sort of awkward, BUT:

I very highly recommend Firefly, if you haven't seen it.

-CHRISTINE (remember me?!! from high school.........)

Omega, Fraktruck, Rok said...

Gasp!

blast from the past!

I have seen firefly, though I've yet to see serentity for some reason.