Thursday, January 3, 2008

Bachelor Gourmet

Since I knew I would eventually be moving out of my parents house I began to learn how to cook at the beginning of junior year. Now that I live alone, I have the opportunity to expand my culinary skills and its been quite fun. Here is a selection of "reciepies" (more like variations on a theme right now) that I would put in a cookbook called "the bachelor gourmet" If you try them I want to know what you think. Comments, Emails, AIM is all accepted tender.

Chicken Variation:
Use in salads, sitrfry's, basically anything non-baked.

Boneless chicken breasts sliced to strips.
Marinate for at least one hour in a bowl with "Barbecue" Seasoning (a spice blend in your grocery) and Teriyaki sauce. To conserve resources, use less sauce and toss regularly.
Cook in skillet till done. Just before plating or using, toss the rest of the marinade in the skillet and let it cook onto the chicken


Roasted Potatoes:

Roast one head of garlic by slicing it in half horizontally and wrap in tinfoil doused in oil with salt and pepper (roast in oven at 350 for about 45 minutes)

Cut potatoes into quarters or smaller
in a large bowl toss the potato pieces, some oil, barbecue seasoning (its really this awesome) and the roasted garlic (after a good smashing)
roast in oven at 350 for about an hour, +/- 15 mins.

you can also cut into smaller pieces and fry in skillet, I haven't nailed down the timing yet


Mock pepper steak:

Use top sirloin cut and slice into fairly thin strips
Marinate in a combination of Worcestershire and Teriyaki sauce
Slice one (or one half depending on size) of a vidalia (sweet) onion and a pepper (any color but green)
fry onion and pepper in oil till onion is translucent
Add meat and cook till done

Omega's beef stroganouf:

Top Sirloin cut into thinish strips
Slice one onion and cook in a pan with butter till translucent
at the same time cook a package of mushrooms (I like sliced baby portabello's best) in butter, cook until significantly reduced
combine meat and mushrooms in main pan
once meat is cooked turn heat off and empty one 8oz of sour cream in main pan
toss until evenly distributed.
serve on top of cooked egg noodles

thats all I have for now, I'll edit this post if I come up with more, I tagged it "cooking" for easy future reference

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try some of those. My primary staple has been chicken stir-fry. Perhaps I should broaden my menu. If you're interested, here's the recipe:

Prepare one package of chicken Ramen, but use only 1/2 of the seasoning pack.

Slice a boneless chicken breast into strips and cook in hot oil until mostly done. Pull the chicken out of the oil and, to the pan, add crushed garlic and ginger, and whatever sliced vegetables you like (I usually use a combination of water chestnuts, bokchoi, carrots, celery, pea pods, and/or onions). Toss the vegetables until they soften a bit and add the chicken back to the pan. Also add the noodles. At this point, add soy sauce, Dry Sherry (don't use cooking Sherry... use the stuff that people can drink), and hot Chinese pepper oil. A little bit of Oyster sauce adds a nice touch, if you have it.

--B. Edjerin R.

Omega, Fraktruck, Rok said...

That sounds fancy :D My stirfrys usually the chicken with green beans, onions and peppers with spaghetti, toss it all together and deglaze/fry in teriyaki/soy sauces