Friday, January 18, 2008

Super Stallion

No the title doesn't refer to my sexual stamina.

It is the military nickname for the CH-53 Helicopter, Sea Stallion if you're nasty. The workhorse (pun intended) of the Navy and Marine Corps is a heavy lift heli built by Sikorsky in the late 60s...and it is still in heavy service today by both the US and its Allies and will probably continue to be for the next 15 years.

This is the chopper that I pretty much dedicate all my work time to, the two projects focused on making the aircraft lasting as long as possible.

Its a beautiful piece of aerospace tech even if it was built during the dark ages of engineering, 3 beastly engines that give a total of 15,000 HP and enough carrying capacity to tow a Humvee, with a cadre of marines in the trunk. Oh and that huge prong on the nose? Mid air refueling boom.

Sorry, I like to gush about aircraft.

But for serious, I thought somepersons may care to know what I'm working on...thats basically all I can tell you in specific though, this being public domain and all.

I have had the opportunity to learn about some exciting technology working on these projects...like the cast aluminum with 100% improved strength properties but similar density and ductility characteristics, or the fact that transparisteel may be viable in the near future...you read that properly...transparent steel

So anyway tomorrow I celebrate the anniversary of my birth. I plan to bake a cake of some sorts and purchase a DS.

That is all
enjoy your afternoon

No comments: